Wondering what’s taking me so long?
It’s probably because I’m doing so much at one time. Here’s a snapshot:
- I moved many of my pins into a new Pinterest account, which I created specifically for my story. I’m using Pinterest as a brainstorming and idea-compiling space to help me design buildings and clothing, and to better understand the function and originality of my characters’ personality dynamics. I added the link to my Pinterest page in the sidebar. Please note that any pictures pinned under characters’ names bear resemblance to the character in a particular area; they are not an exact representation.
- I connected my Goodreads account to this site. You’ve seen the kind of story I’m writing. Now you can see the kinds of stories I’ve read over the years, which helped form me into the reader and writer I am today. You can also look up some of the books I’m currently reading as writer reference tools. I added the link to my Goodreads page in the sidebar. Any book reviews I write on Goodreads should automatically show up on this site.
- I rewrote my summary of volume 1. It was too generic, did not have enough of a hook, and did not accurately portray the tone of the story. I might post the new summary in the next couple days, or I might update the summary when I post my new chapter.
- I started a list of revisions I want to make to volume 1. I even mapped out some of the plot points and alternate progressions.
- I wrote a WAFF lime into chapter 9 of volume 2. Don’t think that sounds like Rome? Neither did I. But hopefully, after reading this lime, you’ll change your mind. And yes, this lime is rather indispensable to the plot.
- I ordered 2 new books to help me with my writing. One is about writing paranormal novels. The other is about writing steamy romance. I’m excited about the first, but annoyed about the second, because the shipment of the latter has been delayed. Drat. I hope I get that second book.
The good news is that I have been writing chapter 9, and I am pleased with what I have written so far. The bad news is that even though I’ve been working on stuff for my story every day, my word count for chapter 9 is still at only half of what I normally post for a chapter. That’s okay, because I know what else I want to put in the chapter; it’s a scene I’ve already written. But that scene needs to be revised, and probably added to, which means you’re going to have to wait a bit longer for an update. Don’t fret! You will have two limes in one chapter, which should more than make up for the lime I took out of chapter 8.
Yes, I decided I could fit a lime into the aftermath of the kissing contest. No, it does not look like it did when I originally wrote chapter 8. The premise back then was forgetting about the contest. The premise now is something deeper, older. Rome gets moody and broody, and Labriella draws a startling comparison that helps her to see what Rome is actually feeling underneath his natural façade. Then she decides to do something about it, to help him…but she runs into a couple confidence-crippling issues: Labriella begins to realize what Kitiora meant about being with Rome being a dark path, and Labriella comes face-to-face with what she really thinks of herself in light of Rome. How’s that for an indispensable lime?
I know what I’m doing for chapter 9. After that…I’m not real sure. I know where I’m going, but without the revisions I have in mind for the story arc as a whole, it will may be difficult to build a meaty bridge from Lord Symeon’s party to Lord Alonza’s. Even my perception of what should take place at Lord Alonza’s party is changing. There is going to be a whole lot of carnality and bondage going around, but as for my main characters…it seems like they should be above that somehow. They’ll definitely be affected, as will their relationship. But how they handle the situation needs to be different from how the nobles handle it. Moral high ground is going to be a moving target. I have to figure out how Rome and Labriella can remain above the discretion line, and yet still provoke one another to action. Sounds like lots of tightrope walking to me.